There are different type of work permit which an applicant can apply for according to condition and qualification. To obtain your temporary work permit, basic eligibility requirements are:

Graduated from a Canadian college or university

Have a temporary resident permit valid for at least six months

Waiting for CIC to process your permanent residence application.

There are many different kind of work permit

Graduate work Permit
After successful completion of college education from designated college or institute applicant is eligible to get minimum of one year of work permit or maximum of 3 years.
Closed work permit
One can get closed work permit as a result of Positive LMIA (formerly known as LMO labour market opinion)
Bridging Work Permit
If applicant already got approved by Province Nomination or already applied for Permanent residence file than one can extent their work permit.